Administrative Assistant/Office Manager – Part-time
Highland United Methodist Church is seeking an experienced Administrative Assistant to support its ministerial staff and Church Office operations. This is a part-time hourly position averaging 16-20 hours per week, which does not offer benefits. The successful candidate will be self-motivated with professional demeanor and presence, positive attitude, and excellent verbal communication skills. He/she must possess strong organizational skills, proficiency in office procedures and methods to ensure work flow, knowledge of office computers and software and ability to engage in updating social media sites and website. This person must be somewhat flexible in their job routine, work as team member in a collaborative environment, and relate well to other church staff, congregants and visitors. Salary commensurate with experience. See the following detailed position description for specific duties and required skills.
Support for Ministerial Staff
Provide administrative support for assigned members of the Ministerial staff including scheduling appointments, meetings and mailing correspondence, emails, handling messages and incoming mail; preparing some denominational reports.
- Serve as receptionist screening and routing of incoming calls and visitors to the church office; warmly greeting persons with a friendly, courteous and helpful attitude; providing pertinent and appropriate information to callers and/or visitors.
- Prepare and produce weekly church bulletins and other special service bulletins/programs (eg, funeral bulletins).
- Maintain Church Calendar; including scheduling of ministry meetings/events and posting events on church website calendar and social media (eg, Facebook, Twitter).
- Keep, update and maintain membership, baptism, wedding records.
- Monitor and maintain office supplies.
- Check and distribute incoming mail.
- Assist ministry leaders as necessary with clerical, administrative or communication support.
- Running and keeping records on regular “background checks for volunteers.
- Attend weekly Tuesday morning staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Skills, Knowledge and Training - The Administrative Assistant should strong clerical skills to include:
- Proficiency in multiple computer software programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) as well as in church management software and web development.
- Knowledge of using social media for posting (which would include our church website).
- Strong organizational skills; ability to multi-task and handle requests from multiple sources.
- Have effective verbal, writing and editorial skills.
- Have a caring attitude, excellent people skills, high integrity and committed to exercising strict discretion and confidentiality
- Have or quickly develop a working knowledge of United Methodist organizational structure and local church ministries and protocols.
This is a part–time hourly position averaging 20-24 hours per week. No benefits are offered with this position. Core suggested work hours are Monday – Thursday (8:30 – 12:30). Other hours may be assigned as necessary for office coverage and special events.
The selected applicant must successfully pass a background check as part of Highland United Methodist Church’s cooperation in the “Safe Sanctuaries” policy of the Kentucky Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter outlining their interest in the position and the gifts and skills they possess along with a resume and salary requirements. Applications will be accepted by mail or email at the addresses here until the position is filled. Resumes will be reviewed as received.